As you know, G&L has been up and down for the last several months. I’ve been a bad blog-mommy. But, as I mentioned before, G&L’s 2nd anniversary is coming up in April, and I want you all to be a part of it!
I have some surprises in store for you, and maybe even for me, as I work my way up to April 22nd. This particular “surprise” though, isn’t going to be much of a surprise, as it requires a bit of forethought. Ready? I know you’re ready.
G&L would not have come this far without all of you. I’m not known for my ability to keep on one thing for any length of time, and if it wasn’t for my readers, G&L would have been one of the many things I would have given up for no apparent reason. So, for all of you and everyone who promoted the posts here at G&L over the last two years, I want to extend the invitation to enter a small short story contest.
Now, I don’t have the means to pay anyone, keep in mind. You’d retain all the rights to your work. This would simply be a means of promoting your writing/blogs/websites through a small short story collection. (For those of you who have read my collection Something Peculiar, it would be exactly like that.)
- Of the entries, 7 will be chosen to be included in the collection. Submission deadline is April 8, 2012.
- All submitters that are not chosen will have their names and websites listed on the final page of the ebook and receive a copy of the ebook to use in any promotions they like. (The object of this ebook is to get our fiction out there, remember.)
- No corrections or alterations can be made to any entry once its submitted.
- The ebook will be sent out on April 22, 2012.
- There is no set theme. The genre must fall in the categories of fantasy, science fiction, or spec fic. YA or adult fiction are both acceptable. (Not “adult” fiction, by the way. Erotica will be discarded. I have some young readers, and I’d like any submissions to be a strong PG-13 at the worst.)
- Entries must not exceed 1200 words.
- If published previously, authors must currently hold the publishing rights to that particular piece of fiction. I’d rather not get into a copyright battle. Though, I’d prefer if the entries were not published previously.
- Page Information
- Margins — 1.5 inches all the way around
- Font — Courier, Courier New, or other clean monospace serif font from 10-12 pt. (I use 12 pt. Dark Courier.)
- Line spacing — Double-space
- Paragraph indent — first line, 5 pt.
- Header — right justified, contains the following information:Last name/ TITLE/ page#A header does not belong on the title page. Start headers on page two of the actual manuscript. First labeled page number should be 2.
- Cover page
- Do not use a cover page with short work, either fiction or non-fiction
- First page
- Contact information — Name and address, phone number and e-mail address in the top left corner of the page, single spaced, left-justified
- Word count — top line, right justified (you’ll have to do this with a table if you’re working with a word processor), either exact count, or rounded to the nearest ten
- Title — drop down four double-spaced lines, centered
- by — centered and one double-spaced line beneath the title
- Name or pen name — centered and one double-spaced line beneath the word by
- Body of the story or article — drop down two lines and begin.
- Scene or section breaks — drop down two double-spaced lines, insert and center the # character, drop down two more double-spaced lines, and begin your new scene.
- Second and subsequent pages
- Header — should be in the upper right-hand corner of the page, and page number should be 2.
- Body text — begins on the first line, doublespaced throughout.
- Page Information
- All files must be in .doc or .odt format.
- Must be fantasy, science fiction, or speculative fiction. YA and adult fiction are acceptable. (Not “adult” fiction. Erotica will be discarded. PG-13 rating cap.)
- All submissions must be sent to gogglesandlace-at-gmail-dot-com with “Anniversary Submission” in the subject field.
- Judging will begin on April 8, 2012.
Any questions, comments or concerns can be sent to gogglesandlace-at-gmail-dot-com. Please include “Anniversary Contest Question” in the subject field. If I missed anything above, please feel free to let me know. I’ll be happy to make the correction. =]
* “Format” section borrowed from Holly Lisle. If you don’t know of her work, check her out. She’s amazing.