I’m curious. Every writer has their list of “Essentials” that they take everywhere with them. It’s important to give yourself the opportunity to record those brilliant ideas that come barreling at you out of nowhere, in the most inconvenient of situations. (We all have our “brilliant idea in the shower” moments. I hear they have waterproof whiteboards for that, by the way.)
Let me give you a run down of the things I carry around with me on the daily. You’ll probably laugh, it’s a little out of control, but here goes.
If it’s my purse:
- Full-sized notebook for plotting.
- Smaller notebook for jotting.
- A handful of pens in black, red, and blue.
- 3 highlighters; pink, orange, and yellow.
- A flash drive on my key chain.
- A flash drive in my wallet pocket.
- Daily planner, complete with writing “to do” list.
If it’s my backpack (which is really more often than not):
- All of the above.
- 2 more full sized notebooks.
- A travel cup filled with a caffeinated drink of the day.
- Several mechanical pencils and a pink eraser.
- The kitchen sink.
I go a little overboard, especially when I’m going somewhere for the purpose of writing.
Anyway, the point is, it’s okay to go a little overboard, in my opinion. I like to have everything so that I know I’m not missing anything if I need it.
So, what’s in your author bag, and how does it work for you?